|Job Type:||Non-exempt (hourly)|
|Salary Range:||Starting rate is $14.00 per hour|
Nevada Rural Housing Authority
DEFINITION: Under general supervision, the Occupancy Assistant provides case management services to applicants, clients, as well as provide assistance to the Specialists.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: The Occupancy Assistant is a regular position which completes waiting list functions, and provide assistance to the Occupancy Specialists.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Performance of these functions is the reason the job exists. Assigned job tasks/duties are not limited to the essential functions).
- Under direction maintains assigned waiting lists, including sending letters to households to begin eligibility process, purges the waiting list as directed, and sends withdrawal/denial letters as required;
- Ensures assigned applications are entered into software system;
- Under direction conducts initial income qualifications, maintains eligibility files by gathering needed information from all qualified clients;
- Ensures applicant and tenant files are updated and maintained;
- Ensures file integrity by ensuring correct documents are maintained, complete and appropriate documents are sent to applicants, clients and landlords;
- Is familiar with all Housing Choice Voucher documents and assures all forms are completed as necessary;
- Assists the Department in gathering necessary documentation; assisting in mail outs, indicating client status;
- Mails re-certification and waiting list notices to tenants on a timely basis.
- Gathers needed information for waiting list cases and Occupancy Specialists and keeps them informed of all required and outstanding documents and advises them of file completion;
- Keeps clients informed of all required and outstanding documents and advises of file completion;
- Conducts computer criminal background checks;
- Conducts income qualifications for Specialist approval, maintains casefiles by gathering needed information from all qualified clients;
- Schedules and conducts briefings; explains rules and regulations to clients as needed;
- Enters approved re-certifications into software system;
- Enters approved interims into software system;
- Enters initial lease ups and moves into software system for specialist approval;
- Maintains general agency files, establishing new files, purging files as instructed;
- Completes departmental correspondence and reports;
- Maintains policy and procedure manuals and updates as needed;
- Operates copy machine, fax machine, postage machine and other office machines as needed and calls for service on equipment when requested;
- Greets visitors in person or on the telephone;
- Assists callers and visitors when capable or refer them to the appropriate person or location;
- Provides information on referral services;
- Assists in preparing monthly Housing Assistance Payment or other mass mailings as requested;
- Performs other duties as assigned and requested;
- Keeps information confidential;
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Basic elements of English usage, grammar, spelling, and punctuation;
- Operation of basic office equipment such as fax machines, copiers, and personal computers;
- Principles of providing customer service to the public and to internal customers;
- Basic arithmetic;
- Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook software;
- Contemporary office practices and procedures including business correspondence, record maintenance system, and office equipment;
- Telephone and general reception procedures; and
- Basic record keeping and bookkeeping principles and practices.
- Learn and apply general office procedures and policies;
- Maintain accurate files and records;
- Provide factual information in person and over the phone consistent with the organization's policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Manage priorities and tasks to meet schedules and timelines;
- Operate standard office equipment including a personal computer and utilizing appropriate word processing, financial, and desktop publishing software;
- Interact positively with others including the general public, elected officials, other organizational staff, and coworkers;
- Accurately type documents and/or reports;
- Maintain confidentiality;
- Understand, interpret, and apply policies, procedures, and written and oral directions to specific situations;
- Organize, maintain, and purge files and records; and
- Communicate with the public and others in situations requiring tact, diplomacy, and poise.
- Current driver's license
- Pass background check and drug screening
Any combination of training, education, and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities. A typical way to gain the required knowledge and ability is:
High school diploma or equivalent plus at least three years administrative and/or social work experience. Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
The physical and mental requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Strength, dexterity, coordination, and vision to use keyboard and video display terminal for prolonged periods. Strength and stamina to bend, stoop, sit, and stand for long periods of time. Dexterity and coordination to handle files and single pieces of paper; occasional lifting of files, stacks of paper or reports, references, and other materials. Some reaching for items above and below desk level. Some reaching, bending, squatting, and stooping to access files and records is necessary. The manual dexterity and cognitive ability to operate a personal computer using word processing and databases. The ability to communicate via telephone. Light lifting (up to 25 pounds) is occasionally required.
In compliance with applicable disability laws, reasonable accommodations may be provided for qualified individuals with a disability who require and request such accommodations. Incumbents and individuals who have been offered employment are encouraged to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Work is performed under the following conditions:
Position functions indoors in an office type environment where most work is performed at a desk. Position may occasionally be required to travel by car to pick up or deliver material. Environment is generally clean with limited exposure to conditions such as dust, fumes, noise, or odors. Frequent interruptions to planned work activities occur.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications